When it comes to prose , short stories have a different area named to them. The perks of a short story is that it’s less time consuming and a lot can be said in a few pages. Today we bring you a list of 5 short stories that represent a different master class of the authors.
- The open window by Hector Hugh Munro (Saki)– Saki’s wit gave birth to this amazing story which was published back in 1911. It narrates how a newly arrived man in the neighborhood gets acquainted with the people next door. The series of events that take place in the story are hilarious. Laughter is guaranteed at the end. Don’t forget to read it.
- The last leaf by O. Henry– King of short stories tells us how a single ray of hope can change our lives. This inspiring story takes to an emotional journey of a terminally ill patient and how she finds the will to live. Bollywood movie Lootera, featuring Ranveer Singh and Sonakshi Sinha, was loosely based on this story.
- Remember the roses by a Avery Taylor– A mixture of thriller and horror this story leaves you all in goose bumps. A rescue mission during world war two. Adventure of an English agent, his chance encounter with someone mysterious. Is everything the way it seems? Do not forget to read this.
- Dusk by Hector Hugh Munro (Saki)– This wittily written short story narrates an evening of Norman Gotsby and how he holds pride in analysing people and their situations based on how they look. He meets a stranger and story takes a twist. Do not miss this funny piece of prose.
- The gift of Magi by O.Henry– The narrative of this story changes your perspective about love itself. A financially struggling couple who want to gift each other with something expensive and how they sacrifice their prized possessions for one another is beautiful. The tide of emotions which the characters feel resonates with our hearts the gift of Magi becomes a story that stays with you forever.