Tabassum Fatima Hashmi (Yes that’s her full name) is an iconic actress. Sadly, I think she is underrated. The 47 year old (I know she doesn’t look 47) started her journey in 1980 and still is a prominent face in the industry. We all loved her for her performance in Andhadhun (why the hell didn’t she get a filmfare for that God knows!). Here is a list of 5 phenomenal roles that she has played and are must watch for everyone.
- Mumtaz in Chandni Bar – This 2001 film by Madhur Bhandarkar got her a national award for best actress. The struggle of a woman who escapes riots , loses her family, her husband and is now responsible for her 2 kids. The plight of single mothers, how the society torments them and how motherhood can make a woman as fierce as a tigress. This story is not a happy one, Tabu’s flawless performance gives us goose bumps. Besides her this film show cases Rajpal Yadav’s serious side as an actor too. Do catch this breathtaking movie.
- Nina Verma in Cheeni Kum- This 2007 off beat romantic comedy by R.Balki is Tabu’s one of the most appreciated films. 30 something Nina falling for a chef who is of her father’s age and how the couple manages to break stereotypes. Her easy chemistry opposite Amitabh Bachhan was the essence of the film and both the actors were appreciated for their acting.
- Meera Deshmukh in Drishyam– This 2016 thriller featuring Ajay Devgn and Tabu is one of finest thriller movies of bollywood. Tabu plays Meera Deshmukh, Inspector General of Goa police and mother of a spoiled brat Sam Deshmukh. Meera’s plight as a mother who is in search of her son is effortlessly played by Tabu besides the portrayal of an intelligent cop.
- Aditi Pandit in Astitva – Aditi a wife of a successful businessman carrying a deep secret in her heart which comes out when her old music teacher dies and her entire existence is questioned. How a woman takes stands for herself and how her to be daughter in-law fights besides her is a story that stays with you forever.
- Nimmi in Maqbool– In this Indian adaptation of Macbeth by Vishal Bharadwaj Tabu plays Nimmi (Lady Macbeth) who incites her lover to do anything to gain power. Here also she plays an effortlessly negative person who would not think twice before getting someone killed for her own benefits.
Other than above mentioned movies the honorary mentions are
- Haider by Vishal Bharadwaj
- Maachis by Gulzar
- Priyadarshan’s Hera Pheri
- Abhishek Kapoor’s Fitoor based on Great Expectations