- Walking by the woods on a snowy evening by Robert Frost– I still remember reading this poem for the first time in 5th grade English Literature. At that time I thought it was just a description of woods and how beautiful the poet finds them clad in snow. Initial perception of this poem comes of as a verse on the beauty of nature but later on I found out that it’s a metaphor for responsibilities.
The woods are lovely dark and deep but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep!!
- The Solitary reaper by William Wordsworth– Considered to be Wordsworth’s finest lyrics of all time the solitary reaper narrates how while climbing up a hill the poet once witnessed a farm girl working alone in the fields with a sickle in her hand. While she worked she sand a song, the poet was mesmerized by her voice though he could not make out what the words meant but he comes up with the possible meanings of the song. Later on he goes back to this memory and tells how impactful it was.
the music in my heart I bore, long after it was heard no more!!
- The brook by Lord Tennyson– This poem describes a brook which flows through a village. The brook is the narrator itself. The permanence of certain things is the theme of the poem. This theme also disguises itself in the appreciation of nature just like walking by the woods on a snowy evening. The brook narrates how everything else that comes in it’s way is temporary while it will go on forever.
for men may come and men may go but I go on forever.
- Seven ages of man by William Shakespeare – Someone said literature and I heard Shakespeare. This poem was a part of one of the most famous comedies by the playwright As you like it. It narrates how a person is born and how he grows up to be. The seven different stages that a person sees in his life are very well described in a unique fashion.
All the world’s a stage (yes! this famous quote came from this poem)
- Thing of beauty by John Keats– John Keats is famous for his literary work on romance. This poem describes the poets joy when it sees so much beauty around him. He narrates what his idea of beauty is and how it should be appreciated.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever!! How a beautiful thing or person can create a forever happy memory!!!